Saturday, January 17, 2009

Historic sites


As long as we're on a tour of national landmarks it seemed we'd be remiss as Idahoans to go through the Minneapolis airport without recording where the nefarious act took place. You feel pretty stupid asking but airport employees are happy to point you to the Craig bathroom.

I've known Larry Craig since 1980 when he came by my office at the Bonners Ferry Herald during his first run for Congress. A few years later I spent a day with him hiking down Long Canyon, for a story on legislation then pending to make it a wilderness. I didn't like most of his politics, but as he gained seniority he did get some things done for Idaho and on a personal level he's a congenial fellow. It's sad that he crashed and burned. Looking for the object lesson (the one they keep relearning) I guess it means our elected folks can't be hypocrites, at least, not without the risk of becoming the butt of a national joke on the Leno show. Or Letterman from Aug '07: "How about that poor Senator Craig from Idaho? ... So he gets arrested in a men's room there at the airport in Minneapolis. And here's the deal now. He's now in Stage One of a political sex scandal: defiance. Stage Two: stepping down to spend more time with his family. Stage Three: 'I'm gay and I'm proud!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment